Hazardous materials which are improperly stored in the warehouse could cause fire or explosion. Also, it could cause injury to humans through skin contact, inhalation or ingestion. These health hazards and safety threats could be avoided by implementing control measures in the early stage and during the operations as well.
A thorough understanding of the health hazards and risks associated with hazardous materials is imperative in choosing measures that will provide adequate control.The employer should also implement a risk management system so he could systematically assess potential hazards and make judgments in implementing appropriate actions.
Proper storage of hazardous materials could contribute to the health and safety of the employees and the environment.Whether the warehouse already exists or is still in planning phase, these guidelines proposes a fer methods of storing and handling hazardous materials.
The warehouse owner
- Make arrangements for the safe storage,handling,operation,use and hazardous goods transportation.
- To provide and maintain a safe working environment that is free from health risks and is equipped with adequate facilities for his employees.
- To provide hazardous goods training,supervision,instructions and information so as to ensure the safety and health of his employees.
- Take reasonable care for his health and safety and of other employees who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work
- To adhere to the instructions provided by his employer.
- To wear protective clothing and equipment provided by the employer.
Supplier of hazardous materials
- Ensure the suitability of the warehouse and the competence of the warehouse keeper in storing hazardous materials.
- Ensure that the warehouse keeper acknowledges the receipt of the goods and fully understands the hazards brought about by these goods.
- Make recommendations for the proper handling and storage of such chemicals.Also,he should provide instructions on what to do if in case spillage occurs.
- Leave an emergency telephone number where advice could be obtained.