What It Takes to Be a Licenced Operator of a Dangerous Goods Vehicle

The Australian Dangerous Goods Road regulations has reference to what constitutes a dangerous goods load in table 5.3, but as a general rule of thumb if you have a receptacle that contains a liquid or solid that has a capacity of more than 500L or 500kg or for pressure vessels containing gases over 250kg (L). You need to have an Australian dangerous goods drivers licence.

The Australian Dangerous Goods Code requires that an intermediate bulk container is made of a rigid or flexible portable packaging for dangerous goods transportation, and it should be specifically designed for mechanical handling.


  • Class 1 Explosives are covered by the Australian Explosive Code and local State authorities.
  • Class 6.2 Infectious are covered by The National Pathology Accreditation Advisory Council and local State Authorities.
  • Class 7 Radioactive Material is covered by the ARPANSA Code of Practice for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material 2008 and local state authorities

Dangerous Goods Driver Licence in South Australia

You are able to drive dangerous goods vehicle and ship hazardous goods anywhere in South Australia if you hold a current interstate dangerous goods driver licence. Similarly, you won’t need to immediately change your dangerous goods driver licence to South Australia if you become a resident. You are allowed to continue to use your interstate dangerous goods driver licence until its expiration date. Six weeks before that day, you will have to apply for a South Australia dangerous goods driver licence.

Requirements for Applying for a Dangerous Goods Driver Licence

  • You need to prove that you are a South Australia resident.
  • You have to be a holder of a current South Australia open driver licence (or current probationary or restricted driver licence where you have been a previous holder of an open driver licence).
  • You need to complete an approved hazardous goods training course not more than 6 months prior to the filing of the application.
  • You need to secure a Medical Certified for Motor Vehicle Driver (form F3712) that must be issued not more than six months before you file the application. The medical certificate must be completed and a qualified medical practitioner must assess the medical certificate under Commercial Standards in accordance with Assessing Fitness to Drive, Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers.
  • You can prove that your criminal and traffic histories are acceptable.
  • You must be able to pay a fee.

Legislation That Regulates Licensing Of Vehicles Used To Transport Dangerous Goods

The following legislation requires that the vehicle and the person driving the vehicle need to be licensed:

Additional Information

When applying for a driver’s licence, you are required to have a suitable traffic history for you to be able to get approval for a dangerous goods driver. If your driver’s licence has been suspended more than once in the last three years, your application may be refused. And if you have been convicted of a criminal offence, your application may also be denied.